Thursday, 27 August 2009

Greetings from London!!

Hello!

Having only been in London for 24 hours, I have already figured out that the "Look Right" and "Look Left" writing on the crosswalks are literally lifesavers. Dad and I almost got ourselves killed several times wandering around yesterday. Of course we had to be the typical American tourists who look the wrong way when crossing the street, multiple times!

This is going to be an update in true Sam fashion.... quite long and detailed hehehe. Anyway, so far London is great. Dad and I got in early yesterday morning (6:30 a.m.), got our bags, and wandered over to the London Connect which brought us right to Paddington Station where we caught a cab. We must have looked crazy with all of the bags, but it was surprisingly easy to get around, even with the huge suitcases we were lugging. Once we got to the hotel dad and I zonked out for about 3.5 hours. Once we woke up, we got something to eat and then hit the ground running.

The first flat we looked at was in Kilburn. The flat itself was pretty nice with a good sized kitchen and good sized bedrooms. The living room had 2 couches, both of which fold out into beds, and there was a balcony that overlooked a shared garden. The flat was also right across the street from a tube stop and right down the street from several bus stops and 2 grocery stores. That was all great, but the surrounding area we weren't too crazy about. It wasn't terrible at all, but it just seemed that it was too far from school and we wanted to keep looking. Also, the move in date wasn't until September 10th. So that was a no-go.

After the first flat dad and I kind of walked around and wandered for a bit. We ended up in a really nice area and just stopped in to one of the realtor places where a guy named Alfie showed us a few flats around the corner. The first flat he showed us was a split level flat with all the bedrooms and one bathroom on the first floor and the kitchen, dining room, living room, half bathroom and balcony were on the second floor. It was in a secured building and is super cheap for everything it has to offer, but one of the bedrooms is really small and cramped and the balcony had 2 pigeons living on it with bird shit everywhere. But we liked the area more than the first flat, and we liked the price. The second flat Alfie showed us was GORGEOUS. Nice big bedrooms, nice building, great view of a garden and a small balcony off of one of the bedrooms. It's seriously pricey though. Like definitely top of the budget and doesn't include the bills.

Then dad and I went to go eat at a pub, hung out in the room for a bit and passed out. I woke up 4 hours later, while dad got a few more hours of sleep. Now we are getting ready for day 2! Going to try to get a phone and find a place to commit to! Hopefully we will find something!!

I miss everyone already and hope everyone is doing well! Once I find a place I'll put up pictures or something! :-) xoxoxoxox

5 comments:

  1. i like the name of your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name also. When will you get a phone so I can call you????I'm going mad, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you did all this in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you. Come back and live with me. I'm so glad you're having fun though!! Do you have your blackberry over there? I was in the store today and almost texted you...but then a) I realized you were in London and B) i thought you miggghhht have your phone but not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh sam, reading about this now seems so funny to me. I remember those first few flats, especially the one where the pigeons didn't even bother picking up their shit :)

    can't wait to come for a social visit, see what London looks like above ground, see some of the sites and go pub crawling!

    xoxo

    dad

    ReplyDelete