Sunday, 20 September 2009

No cake, just pickles

Hello!!!

So there isn't much to report in terms of what happened the rest of the week at school. I started using my new gym, and like it very much. Though it's hard bringing all of my stuff back and forth to shower before class. I might rent a locker at that gym so that I could keep a towel and a brush and stuff in there so I don't have to lug everything back and forth. We'll see.

Anyway, on to the fun stuff! So Friday after class a bunch of us got together and went to this art fair thing that was going on this weekend. We browsed around there for a bit, just to get a feel of what an art fair is like. After the fair, Alex met up with us and we all went to meet up with some other people from school in Camden for happy hour! Of course we decided to leave during rush hour, and we ended up getting lost in the process, so the trek to get to the bar took us a really long time. Once we got there though, we had a really great time. The happy hour was 2 for 1 on anything at the bar. So whatever you ordered they just gave you a second one. Alex and I were trying to decide between a mojito and pimms so we decided to each order one of the drinks so that we could share and each have a mojito and a pimms (though I didn't like the mojito too much so Alex ended up having both of those and I just had the pimms). They also didn't skimp on the alcohol. It was really fun to go out with some people from school and get to know each other better. We then decided to get some dinner, and then Alex, Randi, Kathryn and I were going to go out in Islington. We ended up going to this bar that Ben recommended, which was a really cool place, but we were all tired and Randi and I were still carrying our laptops from school and we didn't want to get home too late.

Yesterday we slept in a little bit and made breakfast. Alex and I had planned to go on an adventure to Shoreditch to go to this store that Alex had read about. I had also gotten a text from a girl from school, Elaine, saying that a bunch of them were going to go to a market and then to the Whitechapel gallery. I have no idea where the gallery is, but the market was right near where Alex and I were going to be. I told her that we would definitely try to make it. Of course Alex and I didn't make it because we had quite an adventure getting to where we wanted to go. Alex and I are very similar in that we like to wander and explore, and therefore we get distracted from our original plan. First we wanted to take care of our council tax exemption. So we take the tube to go to Church Street and the elevators were taking forever to take us up to ground level, so we decided to do the 125 steps it takes to get out, which was totally fine. So we get to Church Street and see that the Church Street market is going on. We had been talking about how we needed a landline phone for the flat, and saw a stand for cordless phones for £5. Then we saw some other stuff we were looking for but decided to pass on it because we were going to have a long day and didn't want to be lugging it around everywhere. So we went to go deal with the council tax, which was kind of weird because the guy didn't really seem to know what he was talking about, but hopefully it all gets worked out.

So then we leave to go to Shoreditch. We get on the tube to Baker Street and we wanted to switch to the Metropolitan line... But we got totally confused because of the lack of signage. So we go up the stairs to one platform and realize that we are on the wrong one and we see another train coming so we run down the stairs and then run up again to the next platform and realize that that too is the wrong train. Then we see another train on another platform, run down the stairs, run back up and that too is the wrong train... Just when we were about to give up (and in hysterics, mind you) we see one last train, make a run down and then up the stairs again and just hop on the train hoping it was taking us in the right direction... Thank god it was. I wonder if anyone noticed me and Alex literally running back and forth between the two platforms up and down stairs like crazy maniacs. I still chuckle thinking about it! Of course, we get on the train and the driver announces that it will be terminated at the stop before the one we wanted to get off at. That was ok though, it gave us more of a chance to explore. (At one point we were walking down a street, hoping we were going the right direction and saw a wall at the end, for a second we thought that the next part of our adventure would be to scale the wall... luckily the road continued, it just curved in a different direction...)

So we finally make it to this store... the entire reason why we went on this adventure in the first place... and the store is like the size of my bedroom. Alex and I walked in and looked at each other kind of like "this is it?" What was even more disappointing is that the website made it seem so much cooler... the entire store was pretty much different colors of the same lamp, plus a few different items. So after about 3 minutes in the store, we left. Then we stumbled upon this AMAZING cafe/restaurant! It totally made up for the store and it was the perfect ending for our little adventure. Everything was homemade and Alex and I were both eyeing 2 different sandwiches. We each ordered one, and split them. We also ordered a side of chips and split a pot of tea. Then, Alex and I decided to split a slice of carrot cake. She got the attention of the waitress and said "Could we please have a slice of carrot cake?" and the waitress was like "Carrot cake?" and Alex was like "yes, just one slice." The waitress left, and a few minutes later she came out with a plate of cornichon pickles! I think it was the most bizarre mix up that could have happened! So then Alex was like "Oh no, carrot cake!" and the woman was like "OHHHH CARROT CAKE." It was quite odd, but we laughed about it for the rest of the day.

So then we walked around where we were supposed to meet up with the people from school (though it was like 3 hours too late haha). It looked like it was cool, but most of it was already closed down. So then we did some grocery shopping and hopped back on the tube... which was really hot and took forever because some moron pulled the emergency break while we were sitting there, which just delayed things unnecessarily. But yeah! That was our fabulous adventure!

Then last night, Randi and I had an adventure of our own. We were originally going to meet up with some people from school at Zoobar but then we got a text later from someone saying that everyone from Sotheby's was at this one housewarming party thing and that we should go. But we felt kind of weird because we hadn't been invited originally, and we had gotten kind of excited about going to Zoobar, so Randi and I decided to go on our own! The second we got off the tube, this guy that worked for Zoobar led us over there and got us to cut the line, which was pretty sweet! So we get in there and Randi and I get a drink and explore the place a bit. After a while we chose a spot on the dance floor and boogied for a bit. This place was definitely amazing for people watching, and many creepy guys hit on us in some hilarious ways. One of the funniest, was towards the end of the night when this guy just started grabbing my arm, and when I made it clear I wasn't interested he hid behind Randi and every few minutes would pop his head out from behind her and wave. It was very awkward. But we ended up meeting this group of guys who were celebrating their friends birthday and we danced with them for a bit. One of the guys I was talking to tried to make a move, and when I told him I had a boyfriend he got very upset and immediately became mopey. It was also funny because I didn't tell them my real name, but Randi kept on calling me Sam and then catching herself too late, and the mopey boy never caught on. Then another one of the guys tried to make a move as well which was awkward. Thats when Randi and I decided to go to the bathroom and leave... it was also almost 3 am and we wanted to catch a night bus. Our journey home ended up being pretty funny because we first got on the wrong bus, then got off too early, then got on the right bus, but had to run to catch our connecting bus (in heels). It took us about an hour to get home because of the little mix up. But it was still very fun. Our feet were hurting so much by the end of the night that it took us double the amount of time to walk from the station to our flat. But we had a really good time, and I'm glad that we decided to go.

Anyway, I know this is a crazy long and detailed post, but thats just how I roll! Stay tuned for Alex's new weekly installment on the blog: Dinner of the Week!!

Miss you all! Xoxoxoxoxoxox!

2 comments:

  1. lol, you girls are so funny! You should totally grab a tube map and just carry it with you, with the map in hand I never had a problem figuring out the trains. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever you mention the night bus, I always picture the Knight Bus from Harry Potter. LOL.

    I'm looking forward to hearing about the dinner of the week!

    ReplyDelete